Also known as Hutton's Mill
Stone foundation and mill run exist
On Long Draught Branch currently under Lake Clopper. It was part of a tract called "Martha and Mary"
Zadock Holland, Luther Owings & Joseph McKinstry, Francis Clopper, Mary Augusta Hutton (F. C. Clopper's daughter)
Sept. 13, 1811 Luther Owings & Joseph McKinstry purchased the property from Zadock Holland.
1831 Francis Clopper purchased "an advantageous investment" from Owings & McKinstry. This became known as "Factory Farm".
1850 Census report showed Francis C. Clopper owned a woolen manufactory that was water powered. He had 7 employees and assets of 7 carding machines, 3 looms, 2 fulling stocks, 2 pickers, and 2 spinning frames. 1860's Clopper made blankets for the Civil War.
(from Dorris Cobb's study)
"Miss Estelle Clagett of Gaithersburg, who was 75 years old in 1968, remembered an area of the Clopper estate that was called Factory Field. This was the site of a sumac mill on Long Draught Branch; sumac grew on the site.
Only one sumac mill was listed for the county in the 1850 census. A typical bark mill had a circular tray and crushed the bark by means of a wheel pivoted on a center stone.
William Rich Hutton showed some sales of hides and skins in his Clopper Mill account books" (Cobb reference). Sumac extract was used in the tanning of leather. It produces a very desirable tannin where white or light-colored, soft and supple leathers are required. Of all the vegetable tannins, this agent produces a leather which has the greatest resistance to aging due to iron fittings, fumes from open fires, and industrial gases such as sulfur dioxide. Bookbinding leathers are traditionally tanned with sumac because of its superior permanence.
BACK TO MILL STUDY PAGE
BACK TO MAIN PAGE
This page was last updated on 2.19.03